Friday, October 10, 2014

DIY Personalized Aprons - Handmade Christmas Gift

A few years ago I decided to make many of the gifts that I gave to my family. I made a t-shirt quilt for my brother, painted a painting for my other brother, made pickles, etc... One of the projects that I made for all the women in my family were personalized aprons.

These aprons were relatively easy to make, it took me a while because I made 7 of them. I think that each one took me about 2 nights of TV and one weekend afternoon to complete. The sewing is pretty fast, what takes the time is embroidering the names on to the front.


Here is what you would need to create one:

  • Medium weight fabric (something not to porous)
  • Sewing machine or needle and thread
  • Embroidery thread and hoop
  • Trim for the apron ties
I started by tracing an apron that I already had against my fabric. I doubled my fabric so that when I cut it out I had my front and my back. Make sure that when you double the fabric you have the wrong sides facing each other. 

Next, I took the front side and embroidered the name on to it using a complementary color.


After I had finished the embroidery, I lined up the front and back right sides facing each other and placed the ties where I wanted them. Make sure that the long part of the tie
is inside the two pieces so that after you sew the seam the ties are on the outside. 

Then I sewed the two pieces together, attaching the ties in the process. I made sure not to sew the entire way around so that I could still turn it right side out. 

I then turned the piece right side out and sewed that last part of the seam by hand. I ironed the apron and voila it was finished.

It may seem like many steps but, it really is easy to complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment