Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Flower Pot Cake: Food Network

I first saw this project in the Food Network Magazine and then saw it floating around Pinterest. I made this cake for Mother's Day.

Here is the original pin.

Food Network - Flower Pot Cake


I started out by finding a DIY Fondant recipe on Pinterest, you can see how I made that here.

                           
I lined the 8" and 5"(the recipe suggests using a 6" pan but I did not have one) pans with parchment paper so the cakes would not stick to the pans.


I mixed up some boxed devils food cake mix and poured it in each pan. Then baked the cakes following the directions on the box.

Even though the package said that both cakes would be done at the same time the smaller of the two was done about 10 minutes before the other one.

After the cake had cooled I leveled off the cake, stuck the two cakes together with frosting and used a serrated knife to cut away at the cake and create the shape of an upside down flower pot.

This is were it started to go wrong. I was suppose to cover the cake with icing and then put it in the freezer for 30 minutes before putting the fondant on.

I rolled out the fondant while the cake was in the freezer, that was pretty easy.

So here is what the cake looked like after I applied the fondant, I think that if the frosting had stuck better the fondant would have stuck better.

I decided to put it in the fridge overnight to see if it would hold its shape better.


Here is the final product. Even though it did not turn out as well as I thought, it was still delicious.








1 comment: